I am totally humilitated.
I started work this week...more on that later...but today was the first day with students. Since I'm part-time, I usually don't have to be here until 10:30, but today there was an opening prayer service that I wanted to be a part of at 8:30. That meant that I had to drop the boys off at Beth's and be on the road to school by 7:30. I haven't been out of the house that early in a long time. I didn't realize when I planned my time that it was raining pretty hard, and there were accidents and big puddles all over the highways, making traffic pretty bad. Needless to say, I ended up being about 5 minutes late.
At Harper, being 5 minutes late for a scheulded assembly meant you were actually about 30 minutes early. Not so at my new school. The schedule also said that the teachers would sit in the "sanctuary," which I took to mean we'd be where the congregation would sit, perhaps in the back. Not so either.
When I got to the chapel the staff was assembled on the stage facing the students. Shit. I was so mortified that I was late and wasn't sure whether I should go in or just wait in the wings. Another very sweet teacher saw me standing in the side entrance to the stage and waved me on, so, with my face beat red, I shuffled past the teachers in the back row to the only empty seat.
And then I fell. Hard. The girls in the pews gasped. There was a big kerfluffle as everyone asked if I was okay. My knees were throbbing (and still are) but I got up and parked my humiliated butt in the chair with a smile on my face. I laughed a little and tried desparately not to cry. I cannot believe THIS is the first impression I've made on my students and fellow faculty. UGH!
Everyone was very sweet about it, asking me if I was okay and laughing with me about my "grand entrance." At Harper, the students would have been laughing their asses off at me, but the girls I met so far on my way back to my classroom were adorable, telling me no one noticed and I handled it with grace. I think I'm gonna like this place.
Time to go make copies. I've got my "teacher identity" on.
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
A Grand Entrance
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh Kate! I feel for you! Sounds like you recovered well. Way to pick yourself up and dust yourself off. You'll be the unforgetable teacher! Hope all goes well for you and your family as you go back to work.
ReplyDeleteOh, my sweet girl!!!! This makes that fall with the luggage cart in O'Hare a walk in the park! The girls will love you for being vulnerable and real - oh so real!
ReplyDeleteOh you poor thing. It will be soon forgotten - and one day - you'll all look back on it and laugh! God Bless you and your new adventures! What a crazy couple of weeks you're having!!! Congrats on EVERYTHING! Can't wait to see new house pics - I'm so excited for you!
ReplyDeleteKerfluffle...that word makes me giggle. Maybe this school will whip you into shape, and make you on time for everything...or maybe not. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you will love your job, but I doubt any of the girls will be gettin' all up in your kool-aid without knowing your flava!
Oh, Katie honey, Only you! I gasped as I read it not because it was the worst thing in the world but becuase I know how hard you are trying to make the transition to this new culture.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Karen the girls will love you because of it.
How horrible for you Kate! My face got beat red reading it. Kinda sounds like that nasty fall saved you. I'm sorry it sounds so hilarious too. Perhaps the worst is over now, hmm? Sounds like good folks there! Now kick some butt!
ReplyDeleteWoman! I love that you shared this story. You're a rock star. I can just see your glowing face (that's what I picture despite your use of "sweaty") and big, beautiful smile up front and I love you for it. Slightly jealous over here that you're back into the teacher swing of things, but so thrilled for you at the same time. Post when you can - you've got so much going on, but so much to share!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Tara
Oh Kate- as we say here POLE SANA (or sorry for you..more like sucks to be you) That is rough but at least it can only go up from here right? Can't believe itstarted on time, like Canter at least 30 minutes late...a different world. Also, I LOVE LOVE ADD comment :)Happy teaching friend!!
ReplyDeleteKate. I love you. It sounds like you handled it beautifully. You are an amazing woman and teacher, I believe that God has great plans for you there!
ReplyDeleteMy knees hurt in sympathy (I'm a total klutz, so I totally get the fact that it really hurts your knees when you fall when you're above the age of 3 years old..)!