Tuesday, January 4, 2011

In which Kate is truly happy

God has been doing some pretty cool stuff in me lately.  Basically, He's whacking away at my pride and materialism and any attempts I make at self-sufficiency.  But He's doing it gently, and I'm to the point where I feel like I'm bubbling over with all that I'm learning. 

Last week, on December 28, Zach and I celebrated our own little holiday: the one year anniversary of the successful removal of 1/3 of our baby's lung.  Our celebration consisted of us saying, "Remember that?" and privately thanking God for answering our prayers and graciously allowing our son to be healed. 

I don't know why God does what He does.  I don't know why our boys are healthy and happy and our lives are so overwhelmingly good.  When we first heard that our baby boy, not yet born, had a "lung mass," there were about 18 hours when I was sure he was going to die at birth.  I'm not sure why Isaac was healthy, or why Anders had a "fixable" malformation, while others fight through treatment after treatment with no hope, and still others are taken away in a terrible and swift accident.  I still struggle with survivor's guilt and fear...  But I'm also just letting myself be grateful.  And let me tell you, gratitude is a powerful thing. 

I often vent here about how frustrating my boys can be, or how blah I get being a SAHM, but lately I have been really loving it.  I still get stressed by their behavior, but most of the time, I just love their big personalities and am intrigued by their development.  On December 29, I could not keep my hands off of my boys.  I kept kissing them, and hugging them, and telling them how much I loved them and how proud I am of them. 

As for my current gig as a SAHM, I am grateful for that too.  With my schedule, I can get up at 7:30 and get in a work-out, a bible study time, and a shower, plus put on make-up, do my hair, wear decent clothes, keep the house relatively clean, make dinner for my family, play with my kids, work a couple hours, spend time with my husband, and be in bed by 10:00.  Plus I have a little breathing room for when the homeless guy stops by and wants a sandwich, or a friend calls and really needs a babysitter. 

I actually have time to do what I want to do with my life: be a mother, be a wife, earn a little money, help a few kids get ready for college, serve at church, connect with friends, commune with God, exercise, and put a reasonable amount of effort into my appearance.  (Maybe that last one seems silly to some, but most of us know what it feels like to "let ourselves go" for a little too long -- at some point it crosses from being comfortable to depressing to wear sweatpants every day and wait too long to get a haircut.)

Before Christmas I said to Zach, "I think I may have found balance.  When's the last time you heard me say that?"  Zach said, "You've never said that." 

So, I am happy.  I am grateful.  I can take very little credit for all that I have - a healthy, happy family; material blessings; God's grace - and all I am able to do.  I have always felt that the "to whom much is given, much shall be required" thing applies to me.  I don't know why I've been so blessed, but I pray that God will help me use it all for His glory.  (I also pray that I would say the same thing given different circumstances, regardless of how scary that possibility seems to me now!)

5 comments:

  1. Great posting! It is a terrific reminder to me to say "Thank you" to God as often as I can.

    Grandpa Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, you are a wise, tender-hearted woman. Love, Grammy Lou

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are awesome! Plus whenever I wear a fashionable side pony (and my girls) it's bt because I saw you rockin it at church earlier this summer. I love that you blogged about this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when God grows us up. How awesome to see Him working in your life and in your spirit. You are such an encouragement to me and I miss you. <3

    ReplyDelete