I've been overwhelmed this week by my house, yard, and children. Today I'm in a much better place; after commiserating with a great friend, I'm reminding myself that I chose to stay home, that there's nothing I would rather be doing, and that I am incredibly blessed to have this home and this yard. This friend also helped me to question the pressure I'm putting on myself to have a sparklingly clean home, immaculately manicured yard, and perfectly well-behaved children who can do multiplication at age three. No one else expects that of me; why do I insist on feeling bad about myself when I'm not living up to these unrealistic standards in my head?
I really love doing home improvement stuff but it's hard to accomplish anything with ankle biters running around. Awhile ago I was talking to my parents (who are HGTV junkies and do-it-yourself extraordinaires) about home improvement ideas and they mentioned something about sealing the garage floor and how nice that looks. I was like, "Um, it's the garage floor. It's not exactly on the top of my priority list."
You should know that both my mom and my mother-in-law have impeccable houses--beautifully decorated and immaculately clean all the time. There's no peas smooshed into the floor, no cheerios hiding under dust bunnies in the corners, no slimy finger prints on mirrors, windows, walls, furniture.... Every time we visit one of them, I come home and look at my house and think, "I can't believe we live like this."
On the other hand, neither mom has ever given me reason to think they judge my home in its current state. (I mean, for one thing, I clean like a crazy woman before they come over!) My mom-in-law always tells me stories about how dirty their house was when they were new parents, which takes some of the pressure off. And, getting back to the sealed garage floor story, when I said, "I really don't care about my flippin' garage floor," my mom replied, "Yeah, I guess if I think back to when I had little kids, I didn't care about stuff like that either. Now I guess we have time to care."
And I think she hit the nail on the head. I simply don't have time to care if there are weeds growing in the cracks of my sidewalk, or if my basement floor is swept, or, for that matter, if the box of crayons that I cleaned up three times today gets dumped out again (that one was for you, Liz). I am too busy getting Anders down from the stool he's climbed in order to reach the knobs on the stove (!), or being a momma penguin for Isaac who has declared himself a baby penguin, or making and cleaning up a meal and then a snack, and then another meal, and then another snack, and then another meal....
This weekend my in-laws are coming. I think I just may forgo dusting the ceiling fans (that one was for you, Karen). And you know what? I bet they will still love me.
Friday, May 7, 2010
Time to Care
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well put, Kate! I have so been there - so many times! My retired neighbor is always sweeping her driveway, and I often think - "Hmmm... I wonder when I'll have time to sweep my driveway!" or better yet - "I wonder when I'll care if my driveway is swept". Not exactly on the top of my list these days! I'm just happy when I get the dishwasher unloaded before Bill gets home! :)
ReplyDeleteBetter yet, Kate, why not ask your Mom in law to seal your garage floor. They know how! And they care! :-) Wouldn't that be a nice treat! I'm with you, the house won't stay clean even if you had an oozie on hand all the time and actually used it to nip at little muddy toes. You're yard was looking slammin. The rains will help it fill out!
ReplyDeleteGreat timing for this post. I'm usually overwhelmed with spring cleaning, house maintenance, and yard overhaul and this year we have a little one, too! Yesterday I spent all of naptime pulling weeds and doing other yardwork. I was exhausted and sat down just in time to hear a crying little boy up from his nap. I totally regretted not recharging during naptime because this momma wasn't all that fun that day :( I'm glad everyone else struggles with this, too!
ReplyDeleteI wish that all of us moms could go just a little easier on ourselves when our kids are small. I can't count the nights I spent cleaning until 3 am only to get up at 6 with kids and be tired all day then still have a messy house at the end of the day!! It's just not worth it. Pick a few things that are absolute necessities for you such as a toilet without pee all over it and forget about the rest. It'll still be there in a few years!
ReplyDeleteAunt Janet ( a much wiser now that the kids are mostly grown mom)
This was a great post for me to read, Kate. I, too often, feel this way about my home/life, and I don't even have kids. Should we be blessed with children some day, I know that I will need to let go of caring about a lot of the things I stress over now.
ReplyDeleteKate, I remember coming to babysit you before I had kids. You were all in school yet, and I was at the house waiting for all of you to come home. When I walked in, the kitchen counter had remnants of breakfast stuck to it (peanut butter, jelly, dishes, etc). I remember thinking, how can Pam leave her kitchen like this and go off to work? Sorry Pam! Now I know! Heck, the cleanliness of my house changes whenever my 19 year old comes home from college, but I am learning to pick my battles.
ReplyDelete