Monday, June 2, 2008

What Spike is Like--Communication

In a blatant display of negligent parenting, Zach and I have failed to teach Isaac baby sign language. I know, I know, he's going to be way behind the other kids when he gets to college. He'll probably end up with severe psychological problems.

Luckily, Isaac has come up with an alternative system of communicating with us. Here are a few translations.

  • Screaming while standing at the gate to the kitchen: "I'm hungry!"
  • Screaming while sitting in high chair: "I dropped/finished the food you gave me and I want more!"
  • Screaming while standing at the toy box: "There's a toy in there that I can't get out myself!"
Not all of his forms of communication involve screaming. Although I'm noticing that all my translations do contain exclamation points. I think that's accurate.
  • Opening and closing fist: "I want that!"
  • Pointing and saying "dis": "Look at this!" or "What is this?"
  • Quickly crawling away while looking over his shoulder at us: "I betcha can't catch me!"
  • Laughing whenever we laugh: "I get it, too! I'm part of the joke! It's so funny!"
  • Dropping his food on the floor: "I'm done. Get this out of my sight!"
As you can see, he's got a lot to say. No baby signs necessary. :)

4 comments:

  1. Apparently you've missed hearing him whisper, "I want to see Grandpa and Granini." I'm sure he's said that on several occasions!

    Granini

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was nice to see you at FF. You have a gorgeous son! He's even cuter in person!
    Kim Wheaton
    P.S. I like your hair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've started using "Esaac language" around Iva so she'll know how to pronounce baby words - you know, like "dis, dis" kinda words. She's gonna be smarter from being around him! :) -Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sofia loves to point at objects and mumble/babble for long durations as she expains in detail something that only she seems to know.

    ReplyDelete