Friday, January 15, 2010

The Potty Train

I had some days off this week because my students are taking their exams, so it was prime time to get Spike started on potty training.

Wednesday he wore big boy underwear and sat on the potty a bunch of times. He gets a sticker on the chart just for sitting on the potty and a treat like a sucker or candy for actually going. That first day he peed three times on the floor and then refused to wear underwear anymore.

Thursday he didn't want to try again.

Today...drumroll please...he peed AND pooped on the potty!

I promise not to describe every time Isaac does this, but it's too funny not to share today.

This morning he was on board with giving underwear a try again. He sat on the potty for a long, long time. My camera battery was dead, so I'll have to describe the scene for you: Anders sat in the corner of the bathroom, right next to his brother who was sitting on the potty and...playing the harmonica. The Potty Blues--priceless. Nothing happened despite all of Isaac's music and my book-reading, song-singing, and story-telling. I knew from Wednesday's experience that as soon as he got up, he'd have an accident. It was time for me to nurse Anders, so I was going to have my hands full but didn't want to just put a diaper on Spike. I brought the potty chair to the living room and let him pick a show to watch. He chose "Baby Mozart," which is so dull, but hey, I'm not judging. Anyway, I nursed Anders in his room and then came to check on Izey, who was still sitting on the potty, mesmerized by his show. To my surprise, when I checked underneath him, he had peed! He seemed a little surprised too!

We did a dance, gave him a sucker, and called his daddy, Grammy Pammy and Nini. It was awesome.

Then we ran some errands and he wore a Pull Up, which he called a "paper underwear"--huh, that's pretty accurate! He kept it dry for a long time, but then he was too distracted by eating his McDonalds to tell me he had to go at the restaurant.

After lunch we were quite a sight. I had carried Anders in, so no stroller or carseat. When I put Izey on the potty, I was also holding Anders, which was, um, awkward to say the least. Isaac was a good sport about trying to go at McDonalds, but it was an unsuccessful attempt. I could not figure out a way to change Izey's Pull Up without putting Anders down on the floor. Thank goodness that it was a cleanish bathroom floor, relatively speaking. But still, the whole process went something like this:
take Isaac's shoes off
move Anders away from the toilet
unbutton Isaac's pants
move Anders away from the toilet
take Isaac's pants down
move Anders away from the toilet
take Isaac's Pull Up off
move Anders away from the toilet
put Isaac's new Pull Up on
move Anders away from the toilet
put Isaac's pants on
move Anders away from the toilet
put Isaac's shoes on
move Anders away from the toilet

Whew. Then we ALL needed to wash our hands. First I did mine, one at a time, while hold Ando. Then I did Ando's. Then I had to hold Ando on my left hip while balancing Isaac on my right knee and use my right hand to help Isaac wash his hands. It was such a ridiculous sight I was actually laughing out loud. Of course the whole time Isaac was talking and asking questions and singing.

"ABCDEFG...What's that, Momma?"
"That's the trash, buddy. Get some soap."
"HIJKLMNOP...What's in the trash, Momma?"
"I don't know. Rinse your hands."
"QRSTUV....What's in that trash, Momma? Is it garbage?"
"Yes! Yes. It's garbage. Will you please rinse your hands?"

We got home around naptime, and I knew Izey would need to go again. I set him up with his "Baby Mozart" again and went to nurse Anders. As I was sitting there, I could hear Izey talking to himself, although I couldn't hear what he was saying. Then it occurred to me that he usually has a poopy diaper around naptime and that if he pooped in the potty, there was no telling what he might do about it. But, when I came out to check on him, there he sat, totally mesmerized by his dumb show with his stinky accomplishment in the potty underneath him. When I said, "Isaac, you pooped!" and he turned around to see it, he looked a little bewildered. I think it was a bit disconcerting to see what had come out of him.

When we called Grammy Pammy, this is what his side of the conversation sounded like:
"Grammy Pammy, my poop was really big. I pooped long. I pooped in the potty. Grandpa Dave made a snowman. It's melting. Its eyes and carrot nose fell out. It's funny. Goodbye! I love you! Kiss!"

That's my boy!

1 comment:

  1. In can totally understand the bathroom scene! :o)

    I wish you a lot of patience for the potty training! He will get it hopefully soon, smart as he is!

    Daniela

    ReplyDelete