Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Death of a Giant

Putting Isaac to bed last night was quite an experience.  He had been naaaaaaaauuuuughty from the time he got home from preschool until I said, "Enough! You're going to bed early!"

But things took a sudden turn when we read a fable called "The Selfish Giant" -- a re-telling of an Oscar Wilde tale.  At then end, the giant goes through a magic door way and is never seen again.  Isaac asked me if he went to work....  Oh, how I wish I had said yes!  I tried to matter-of-factly say, "No, he died," but Isaac wheel's started turning again and that little statement turned into a rather big problem....

Spike:  Mom, when I'm a giant, am I going to die?
Me:  Are you going to a giant, buddy?
Spike:  I don't know, am I?
Me:  No, I don't think so, I think you're just going to be a normal sized grown up.
Spike:  I want to be a giant!
Me:  Well, you probably will be really tall.
Spike:  I don't want to get old.  I'm not going to eat any more food.
Me:  Well, you still have a very long time before that happens.  And you're going to grow up whether you eat any food or not. [Well, that's not entirely accurate, but...]
Spike:  Does everybody die?
Me:  Yes, eventually.
Spike:  I don't want to die!
Me:  But it's okay, honey, because when you die you get to live with God in heaven.
Spike:  Where is God?
Me:  Well, He's everywhere.
Spike:  Is He in my heart?
Me:  Yes.
Spike:  And when I die, I'm going to live with God in my heart?
Me:  Um, well... something like that.
Spike:  But I don't want to die!  I don't want to live with God! I don't want to die!  I don't want to die!
Me:  Honey, don't worry, you're not going to die for a very very very long time. And when Daddy and I die, we're going to live with God, too, so we'll all be there. 
Spike:  But I don't want to ever die!  I don't want to live with God!  I don't want to die!  Not even a piece of me!  Not even a little part!

Oh my goodness, the poor child was close to tears!  I didn't know what to say!  I didn't want to lie to him, but I was totally tempted to say anything to make him less scared or worried.  Finally I just tried to change the subject...

Me: Do you want me to sing you a song?
Spike:  Yeah.
Me:  Okay, what song?
Spike:  A song so I won't die.

*Sigh*


I sang him a couple songs and left the room, as I closed the door he said, "Mom? ... I don't want to die."

What am I going to do with this kid!?

4 comments:

  1. aawww - he is too smart, that is for sure. I can just hear the conversation taking its turns and twists... btw, good job on singing a song about not dying. :) love you guys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you really say "ENOUGH!"? Like in "Where the Wild Things Are" ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt a tug at my heart. He is sooooo like his parents, thinking everything to the extreme. he shouldn't have to worry. I don't ever wnat him to die either.

    Love him,
    Grandma Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that I didn't let him watch Robocop, because then I would have had to have this conversation with him.

    ReplyDelete