Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Bunnies Are Not in Their Beds

Spike's room has an old-fashioned doorknob that used to be to difficult for him to open. Now not only can he open it, but, given the motivation and time, he can take off doorknob covers intended to keep him safely inside.

Alas, our child has put his new skills to use at all hours of the day and night.

This morning at about 6:20 I heard Anders crying and opened my eyes to see that the hall light was on. "Zach, did you turn on the hall light?" He hadn't.

I went downstairs toward Anders's room and found his big brother standing in the hallway. "Isaac, it's not time to get up yet. Let's go." I picked him up and he had soggy jammies due to an overflowing diaper. I brought him to Zach. "Honey, I need help. Change Isaac so I can go to Anders."

Isaac became very insistent: "Don't take his toys away! He needs his toys!" Okay, buddy, whatever you say.

Back downstairs, I reached into Anders's crib to pick him up and instead found something soft and fuzzy. I threw the stuffed animal on the floor and reached back in only to find another, and another, and another... I don't know who was up first--perhaps Anders's crying woke Isaac and he was being "helpful" by placating Anders with toys, or perhaps Isaac's motivation was more along the lines of, "Mom and Dad are still sleeping! Let's get up and have a wild rumpus without them!" Either way, Anders didn't really appreciate it.

We're forced to once again get smarter than the toddler with a creative solution. I think this one will involve a baby gate at the top of the stairs.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure the gate will hold him for at least a couple days before he figures out how to climb it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever the scaredy cat, worst-case scenario worry wart, I will say - with fear and trembling - isn't CLIMBING a gate at the top of the stairs likely to precede falling down said stairs on the other side of said gate? Dog gone it, did you have to go and have a bright child????

    Maybe you should ask Timbo what would have kept him in the right place at the same age. That boy had similar craftiness with such things!

    Granini

    ReplyDelete