Monday, December 21, 2009

Happy Birthday, Daddiiiiiiiiieeeee!

Anders Timothy, sportin' his maize and blue in honor of Grandpa Tim today!

Anders's middle name is for my dad, and we hope and pray that our little guy will grow up to be like his grandpa. Both Zach and I were blessed with great dads-- pious Christians, faithful husbands, loving fathers. We are so thankful that we, and now our boys, have those role models.

My dad is an easy-going, friendly, and likable guy. My family jokes about how everybody likes my dad. He inherited some gene from his mom, my Grandma Julie, that apparently makes people want to just open up to him and be his friend. I actually remember the first time I realized how genuinely kind my dad is.

I don't think I ever told him, but when I was in middle school, my dad took me to "take your daughter to work day" and it had a big impact on me. (Going to work with my mom did, too, but that's a story for another day.) I still even remember what I was wearing that day. But mostly I remember walking through the halls of my dad's corporation and observing his interactions with people. My dad said hi to everyone. And everyone seemed to know him and like him. He called people by name, he asked how they were, he chatted about sports and recent vacations. It may not seem like a big deal, but to a pre-teen girl wrapped up in herself and all the drama of middle school, genuine friendliness was a breath of fresh air. I consciously decided that day that I wanted to be nice, just like my dad. It's kind of funny, looking back, that I had to decide that, but that's how it happened!

So happy birthday, Daddiiiiieeee! I hope your namesake (and Izey too!) will grow up to be as friendly and kind as you are!

3 comments:

  1. That is so sweet! Your Dad is a great guy! We love him a lot. I'm sure his Birthday will be awesome after ready your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwws, thanks Peachy. I never knew that our day together had such an impact on you. I guess simple things can make a difference huh?

    I love the picture of the future Wolverine!

    Daddddiiiiieee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwws daddiiiiiiiieeeeeeee!

    ReplyDelete