Thursday, December 17, 2009

My Hilarious Life

Spike is a persistent little devil, let me tell you.

We have figured out a way to keep him locked in his room until he goes to sleep--we wedge a shoe under the door and (so far) he can't get out. Lest you think we're cruel, he doesn't seem to mind being trapped. He usually tries the door once and then, resigned to his imprisonment, goes to sleep.

The problem with this solution is that his room doesn't have a radiator in it, so it gets really cold. After he falls asleep, we usually open the door to let warm air circulate in.

In order to solve the problem of a 2.5 year old on the loose at all hours of the night, I put the baby gate across his doorframe last night. I really had to wedge it in there, too. I thought the solution quite genius.

But then...

At 2:00am, I heard a little voice. (I wish I could remember what he was saying now!) I opened my eyes to find Isaac ALREADY IN BED WITH US. (My mom was like, "Man, you guys are hard sleepers!") I said, "Isaac! How did you get out of your room!?" and I reached out for him in the dark. My hand touched bare flesh and I realized he was completely naked! At TWO IN THE MORNING!

When I woke up later that morning, I asked Zach, "Did that really happen?" When he assured me that yes, our son DID in fact wake up in the middle of the night, strip down to his birthday suit, yank down the baby gate, and climb in bed with us, I said, "Our life is hilarious right now."

4 comments:

  1. For the record, this is a story from two nights ago. The story from last night was less hilarious. It involves the same amount of nudity, but more bodily fluids. Also, the bathtub and the washing machine play larger roles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well of course I think this is hilarious! I'm glad to hear you think so too. I can't wait to hear the story Zach is referring to. (Wait... now that I read it again I'm not sure it would be meant for my ears)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, now I'm embarrassed. My story is PG for Crude Humor, as opposed to R for Sexual Situations...

    This morning I found Isaac at his door, but I found Isaac's diaper (and its contents) still in bed. Ew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry, but I'm REALLY enjoying this!! It reminds me of David at about the same age. One summer evening after I had tucked him into bed in his mickey mouse pjs I thought I would get some much needed vacuuming done. Soon I heard the doorbell ringing and my neighbor was at the door with the same little mickey mouse pj'd little boy standing next to him. That same neighbor had once brought Daniel home in much the way. Thank goodness for neighbors...to this day I don't know how they got out!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete