Sunday, March 7, 2010

A long, rambly, controversial confession

Yesterday was a beautifully warmer and sunnier day in Chicago than we have had in many moons. Zach, my DH, let me sleep in until about 9:30 while he potty trained and played with boys still in their jammies. Then I got up, got ready, and stepped out into the sunshine by myself.

I was headed for the first meeting of a small group called Real Women with my Kindred Spirit, Liz. As I headed toward Lizzy's house in the sunshine, alone in my car, with the music that I wanted to listen to on the stereo, it occurred to me that the empty car seats in the back made me feel five years younger. I hadn't been out without the kiddos in awhile. It felt pretty amazing.

At our small group, I shared that I feel like a raw, open wound right now. I have been so vulnerable lately. People who I love, but who think differently than I do, have recently roused in me deep anger and bitterness. Mainly about "women's issues," i.e. whether moms "should" work outside the home and whether women "can" have leadership roles in the church. I actually went to talk to my pastor about it a couple weeks ago. He asked me why this issue is so volatile for me right now--a valid question considering I usually have great relationships with those who think differently. And I think I already knew, but his question made me admit, that I am really still struggling with my feelings about quitting my job.

When telling people my news about leaving teaching, often someone would say something like, "Yeah, that was a lot for you," or "Yeah, that did seem like too much." And I caught myself cringing and saying, or holding myself back from saying, "It wasn't too much. I could handle it. I could have made it work if I wanted to." And it's really really hard for me to admit to myself that it was too much.

Part of what's hard about that admission is that I would hate to be anybody's example about what a women "should" be doing with her time. While working at that particular job with those particular hours at this particular time in my life did not work out for me, it has not changed my mind about whether or not moms should work. I still don't necessary think that it is always better for the children for a mom to be at home. I think it depends on the person. I know moms who hate staying home with their kids but they do it because they feel like they're supposed to, and I just think, wouldn't your kids be happier if you were happier? Wouldn't someone who has a passion for young children, perhaps a degree in early childhood education, do just as good or better a job spending time with them then you do? And I feel very strongly that choosing not to spend 100% of your time with your children does not mean that you love your children any less than a mom who is with hers constantly.

I think I would like to repeat that statement: choosing not to spend 100% of your time with your children does not mean that you love your children any less than a mom who is with hers constantly.

I've said before that if I weren't a mom, I would not choose to spend my time with toddlers or babies. I love being with Isaac and Anders, but I get sick of them! I think any person would get sick of any other person if they spent as much time together as a stay at home mom (SAHM) spends with her children. Think about it--have you ever spent weeks and weeks on end with the same one or two people from 6:30 in the morning until 8:00 at night, every single day, never leaving their side, taking them every where you go, including to the bathroom????

Not loving being a SAHM does not mean that a woman is a bad mother or loves her children less. It means that she has other gifts and talents. I am amazed by women who always love this job. I'm even amazed by women who usually love this job. And on the other hand, I'm also amazed by women who work, because apparently I couldn't do it that either!

I think for me there is a magic number of hours I could work per week that would make me feel perfectly balanced. If anyone can find me that job in the teaching field, please do! Right now the pendulum of my life has swung too far in one direction. I quit my job because we were too busy (that's a way over-simplification, but we'll let it slide for argument's sake) and now I am bored, bored, bored.

I never understood until I became a SAHM how depressing true boredom is. Liz calls it something like "the downward spiral of being at home." It just sucks all the life out of me. And it's not like I have nothing to do. There's groceries to be purchased, dinner to be cooked, diapers to be changed, baby animals to be rescued, etc, etc, etc. Being with small children keeps a gal busy, but to me (I emphasize that "to me" as much as possible) it is not engaging work. I do not look down on, in fact I admire, those women (or men, although I have yet to meet one) for whom raising children is their gifting, the job in which they are truly fulfilled. They take every opportunity to teach, guide, encourage, shape, and mold their children. They cook fantastic dinners and find amazing new cleaning products. And the most amazing thing about it all, is that they feel fulfilled doing it. I'm just not one of them. (Looking back on those last few sentences, I'm not sure that woman actually exists, but there sure seem to be a lot of them acting like it out there!) Sure, I do the best I possibly can, and I have plenty of rewarding and fun moments throughout my days, but I just cannot enjoy or feel fulfilled by this work 24/7.

But again, if you know me at all, you know that I deeply, desperately, achingly love my children. How I feel about being a SAHM may be in question, but my LOVE for my boys never, ever was.

I have been wrestling with whether or not to post these thoughts for weeks now. There's so much I'm not saying here, so much I've deleted. Maybe I'll keep revisiting this touchy subject or maybe I'll let it be. I guess it will depend on whether I can make peace with my decisions and feelings. I recently heard a sermon in which one tangent was about not becoming bitter but remaining soft-hearted. This is definitely a dangerous place I'm currently in emotionally. God is working on me and I'm praying for a soft heart.

8 comments:

  1. First things first: kudos to you for posting a vulnerable, honest blog. You and I don't really _know_ each other (just through Liz's parties!), but for what my opinion as an occasional virtual reader is worth, I say keep revisiting this topic. It's a voice worth hearing. (I say this in consideration of your need to make peace with things rather than to just stir up bitterness, of course!)

    I am not even a mother yet but as I get older and begin considering the great world of parenting...you have expressed so many of the things I struggle with with already! (And, again, I'm not even a mom yet.) You know those girls in college that just wanted to get married and have babies (or maybe they were just at my college)? Yeah, I never really understood them. Not because I lack respect for wanting to be a mother, but I just never "ached" to be a mother the way I've heard some females express themselves.

    Isn't it funny that when you just want to be honest and open, you always feel like you have to protect your words so carefully and clarify things regularly because SOMEONE will inevitably misunderstand the big picture of what you're trying to say? So here's to women who feel the same way you do and shouldn't feel like they're raining on anyone's parade by being honest about it.

    Yes, I realize this is the world's longest comment, but I just wanted to affirm your confessional :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, thanks for your honesty and I have to 2nd Tricia's comment. As you know, like Tricia, I am not a mother either and sometimes wonder if I'm capable of taking on that role in the future. So many opinions out there and everyone seems to be in a hurry to push their opinions on new(er)moms. (I can see that just from being around all you new(er) moms.) I think you are a spectacular mom whether you are working or not. I also know that you are an incredible woman on a number of levels that have absolutely NOTHING to do with motherhood. Dang it..I just love you! Way to be honest with yourself and those who push their opinions on you. Nobody can say what is right for you except you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, thanks for the post. It truly expresses my opinion. The choices we have to make as mothers and parents are not taken lightly. What is right for one is not right for another. Being a full time working mother I often felt judged by the mothers who chose to stay at home. I can't tell you how many times I questioned my decision and wondered about what could have been. I thought I was missing out on so many things, and not only with my kids. There were many times that I wanted to just be able to have coffee with friends and go to Coffee Break at church etc. I was often overwhelmed coming home from work and still needing to care for a family. But who isn't?
    No matter what decision is made I think at times a mother will question it. For whatever reasons are behind the decision a mother makes whether to stay home or work outside the home. We need to respect that decision. It wasn't made without much thought and prayer.

    Love you! You're in our prayers,
    Aunt Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) way to listen to what God is asking of you right now, and be tender-hearted about the learning process, and have the courage to share that with others! its scary to navigate mommyhood and Christian subculture in many ways - b/c both carry so many opinions and weighty personal choices. I hope more of us (me included) can keep the goal of being honest about where we are, and have the space to hear God's call on our life, amidst the diapers and building blocks. :)

    I SO love your honesty, your access to your feelings/experiences, and you know - I just love you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, there are those of us who find stay at home motherhood to be a calling and we DO feel fulfilled. I appreciate your honesty in this post...it's never an easy thing to admit certain things to ourselves, much less the public.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate,

    I think being a SAHM can easily cause a person to question their identity outside of motherhood. Who am I now, if not Judah and Wyatt's mom? Can I do anything else, even if I wanted to? Have I lost my ability to relate to a non-kid world? Being at home all day with two kids and very little adult interaction can be REALLY isolating!
    For me, what gets me through, is knowing that these EARLY years in my children's lives will go by so fast. Pretty soon, they'll be off to school and bumped out of the nest, so to speak. Now is the only time in their lives when I can be with them so exclusively, and watch them grow and learn before my very eyes. Like you, I never enjoyed being around children until I had my own. I guess the reason I choose to stay at home with them, is because I'd be jealous if someone else got to spend more time with them than me. But if you want to start a club, called something like "not super awesome at meal planning and super couponing and all the other things that are supposed to accompany motherhood" then I am your gal :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate,

    Kudos for sharing your struggle with us, I appreciate your honesty.

    Being a SAHM is the hardest thing I have ever done, seriously!! One of the hardest things has been figuring our who I am now that I am a mother because I am not the same person I used to be. Part of that is maturity in age and faith, but some of it is the role that I have chosen for myself right now- SAHM.

    Despite my struggles I feel really blessed to be at home with my children and I second Lonnie Kelley's sentiments. I feel acutly aware of what little time I actually have with my children and I don't want someone else to have that time with them, I want it. Before I know it my children will be off to college and our relationship will forever be changed- not that that is a bad thing- it is just different. Ok, I am getting weepy thinking about this so I am going to stop now.

    Praying for Gods guidance in this situation!

    Shonah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing how you feel. I agree 100%. I have never been so busy (can't even stop a second to wash the dishes without my toddler falling over or otherwise going berserk over something) and yet so thoroughly bored. What's weird is that at the same time I have such intensely happy moments watching her discover the world. It's just a bizarre place to be in, to be a SAHM. It also makes you become empty of self and start to doubt what on earth you'll do for a job once they are a little older. It's because you are so isolated and vulnerable. And hubbies don't understand. And other moms don't admit how they feel. So it's lonely to have no one to talk to about it. And it's depressing to have so little to share about yourself except mundane things. There's so much more to me than this!

    ReplyDelete