As a reward for an accident-free day, we promised to take Isaac to the McDonald's Playplace not too far from our place. I think I was as excited as Isaac was the day he finally succeeded in doing his business in the potty and we could make good on our promise.
Sadly, McDonald's Playplace was not what I expected. It was rather...how shall I put this?....ghetto. It was really too scary for Isaac, the lighting was harsh and ugly, our food was lukewarm (and that massive gob of mayo with little slivers of onions stuck to it is not gaining anything from a tepid temperature, let me tell you) and there were banners from about 1982 as the only decor.
The important thing is that Isaac ended up having a good time. He got to have his chocolate milk, which is something only allowed on the rare restaurant visit (or apparently when Grammy Pammy is in town), he made a friend ("that boy with the sweatshirt!"), and he surprised us by eventually enjoying the tubular slides, despite his look of fear in the only picture I snapped.
So I would consider potty training to be a success. While we still sometimes have accidents around nap time (thank goodness for Pull Ups), we have had many accident free days, even when we're out and about. Today Isaac called me to the bathroom, "Mooooommaaaaaa! Come wipe my bottom!" and I was surprised to find that he had gone all by himself! And so glad that he called me to come help him when he was done!
I think my greatest advice to anyone about to embark on this sometimes disgusting and often hilarious journey of potty training would be to set the bar low. :) We have been pleasantly surprised by how easy it's been, but I really think that's only because we had prepared ourselves for the absolute worst. Key to happiness, people! Low expectations! If I had had them before we got to McDonald's, I probably would have loved it as much as Isaac did!
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
This is my reward?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kate, We have a little joke around our house when all the kids are home and we are reminiscing. My kids used to sit on the toilet and yell, "Moooom, I'm doooone!" in their little singsongy voices. Makes me smile just thinking about it!
ReplyDeleteJanet and Dale