Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Stereotypes of a 2.9 year old

One of my priorities with the boys is avoiding limiting or negative stereotypes about people....

Spike and Thor love their pediatrician, Dr. Sharon Robinson. Spike also knows that our neighbor Mimi is also a doctor. But when I told him that Grandpa Dave was a doctor too, he didn't believe me.

Me: ...and Grandpa Dave is a doctor too.
Spike: No, he's not.
Me: Yes he is, honey; that's his job.
Spike: Grandpa Dave can't be a doctor because he's not a lady.
Me: Sure he can, honey. Men can be doctors too.

Hee hee! How I truly relished uttering that sentence!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I am delighted with the progress our society has made since I was in school. (25% female in my class)

    Grandpa Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Kate!!!!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great! What a way to flip-flop the stereotypes. :)

    ReplyDelete