Thursday, June 24, 2010

In Season

Mr. Chef

I picked up EIGHT half-pint containers of blackberries the other day. They were 50 cents each (when they're not in season the can get up to about four bucks per half-pint 'round these parts). Unfortunately, when Isaac tried one, he spit it out and politely stated, "I don't care for that." Anders just plain spit it out. Arg. What was I going to do with all these blackberries!?

Today was a rainy and thunderstormy day, so as Anders napped, Isaac and I baked.

Mixed Berry Coffee Cake

Blackberry Jam

Blackberry Whole Wheat Muffins

Now before you go thinkin' I'm all super-mommy, you should know...they really don't taste all that great. :) That's why I'm not including the recipes here! The coffee cake isn't all that sweet, and the muffins are a bit over-done. I'm learning that my oven cooks way too hot. I need to figure out how much to adjust it. The jam turned out pretty good, and that was suuuuper easy. (I am no longer impressed with people who make homemade jam. haha) The important thing is we had fun, made a big mess, and created something apparently more palatable than plain, fresh blackberries!

We still have one pint left. Any ideas?

3 comments:

  1. Judah won't touch fresh berries either, but loves the taste in other stuff. Just make a yogurt smoothy or something with the remaining, or eat them raw yourself :-D
    ice cream topping? on your cereal, cooked down into oatmeal...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a great raspberry coffee cake that would probably work with blackberries - let me know if you want it...

    And for your oven, just get one of those oven thermometers, then you can see just how off yours is. Mine cooked too cool if it was down at 325 or below, and too hot if it was at 375 or above. So frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were an inspiration to me today. Nobody was eating the blueberries, so I made some muffins. Of course I didn't have a chef hat or a cute little guy to help out...bummer!

    ReplyDelete