Saturday, July 11, 2009

Big Boy Bed Victories!

We're making progress, people!

If there's one thing I've learned about raising babies, it's that "This too shall pass." They go through so many phases, and just when you think you can't take it any more, it's over. Sometimes they just grow out of it, and sometimes you get creative or smarter out of desperation.

Here's what we changed about Isaac's bed and nap times that has helped:

1. We make his room as dark as possible. When he first started requesting that we leave his closet light on, I thought, "Aw, he's scared." But then one night a light bulb above my head illuminated when I came in to him happily playing by the light of the closet. Duh. He just wants to be able to see his toys and books! We also have to turn off the hall light because he'll curl up behind his door with a few good books and read by the light coming through the crack! No light means no reading or playing, and a dark room means a boring room.

2. We started tying his closet door closed with a ribbon. This tactic also contributes to a boring room--there are toys in his closet.

3. We give him 10 minutes of quiet reading time with the light on before we tuck him in. This is the most important of the changes we made. First we read him a couple of books in his bed, then we leave those books for him to look at for a good 10 minutes, then we come back to say prayers and turn out the light. I usually leave one book next to him, but I don't think he looks at it. Those 10 minutes are enough to calm him down and get him in the mood to sleep.

4. And of course, Isaac now knows that he can't get out of his room. I was nervous about putting doorknob covers on the doors because I didn't want to traumatize him, but he doesn't seem too concerned about his inability to get out. Perhaps it's because he only knew how to open the door for a few days before we took away his ability again. Either way, he no longer even tries the handle. He just stays happily put. Phew.

Someone once told me that getting your kids to go to sleep and stay asleep is a puzzle that changes at each new age and stage. It's encouraging to me to remember that new challenges are going to crop up--that's just what raising kids is about--but that we'll figure them out and get past them! The puzzle metaphor is helpful because it implies that there is a solution if you just get creative or smart enough.

So we've won the battle...but I'm sure the sleep war is not over yet.

2 comments:

  1. Good job, parents!! The day will come when Isaac discovers that flashlights work very nicely for reading under the covers where parents can't easily see what you're up to . . . I remember a certain young man reading that way . . . uh, yeah, his daddy. But what a cool thing that he likes to read that much!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe I told myself "this too shall pass" about 100 times last night as it was our first night home with baby Thomas.
    Now - he's sound asleep while we are all wide awake (of course!)

    ReplyDelete