Tuesday, July 28, 2009

It's Just You and Me, Kid

When we came home from Minnesota on Sunday evening, we were minus one kid. Izey gets to stay at his Grandpa Dave and Granini's house all week! And I get lots-o-snuggle time with my little one.

Life without Isaac is quiet. My house is infinitely easier to keep clean without a 2 year old tornado following behind me. Going for a run is much smoother without having to answer, "I wanna go to the playlot!" with "We're going all the way around the park first!" 100 times. Running errands is suddenly a piece of cake, I get to sleep in later, and yesterday I read King Lear aloud to Anders rather than Is Your Mama a Llama?, which Isaac prefers.

But I miss him like crazy! Isaac spent the fourth of July weekend with my parents earlier this summer, but I had Zach home with me and we relished the time together. Now it's just me and Ando, plus Zach has to work late a lot this week to finish a project. I'm remembering the loneliness that I experienced being home with just Isaac when he was wee. I realize now that Isaac is really fun company. He's so funny, loving, and sweet, not to mention he's free entertainment for his little brother!

I'm happy Spike gets this time with his Minnesota family and I'm looking forward to getting a lot done this week in terms of homework and packing. But Friday is not going to come soon enough, and I can't wait to get my arms back around that chubby, cuddly, little big boy.

****************

In the meantime, though, Anders has turned into ANGEL BABY! This is seriously unbelievable. I've been trying for weeks now to put him down for his nap while he's still awake to see if he'll go to sleep on his own. Usually I have to go back in, pat his butt, give him his mimi, etc, and often I just end up nursing him to sleep anyway because nothing else works. Suddenly yesterday he did it perfectly, without me needing to come back in to comfort him even once. This has now happened five times in a row, for both naps and bedtime! He also slept more last night than he ever has before--from 8pm to 12:30, when I nursed him, and then from 1am to 8am! Crazy! I feel so well rested today. Here's hoping this is a trend that continues!


3 comments:

  1. I TOLD you Anders was an angel baby :) We had a great night with Thomas last night, too. He was up at 1 (we could have chatted with you guys!) then slept until 6am. It's no 8am, but we'll take it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are having a great time with Izey! See you on Friday. Grandpa Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. We also have to say that we are re-awakened to what it takes to "parent" a two-year old! I don't know how we did this all those years ago, and I don't know how you two do it every day! He's such a great little guy with so much energy every minute (oh, to have it bottled so that I could have a small smackeral!)

    We ARE having fun!

    Granini

    ReplyDelete