After yesterday's preschool experience, I asked Spike, "Are you going to be awesome at preschool?" He said, "I was awesome at preschool already!"
We printed out yesterday's picture of Isaac with Ms. Katy so he could give it to her. I was hoping that would give him a reason to be excited to go. It seemed to be working. On our way to preschool today, Isaac told me, "I'm not going to cry today!"
But when I tried to say my goodbyes, he started clinging and crying again. I told him, "Isaac, I know you're a little nervous, but do you know what it's called when you're nervous but you do it anyway?"
"What, Momma?"
"It's called being brave."
This was definitely one of those moments that I wish I had a video camera, just to capture his facial expressions. Tears still in his eyes, he smiled. Then his smile vanished and was replaced with a lowered brow and purposeful frown. He screwed up his courage and literally marched away without another word. There were no more tears at preschool today!
Wednesday, September 15, 2010
Day Two's Lesson: Being Brave
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kate, I *love* that definition of being brave. So perfect for little (and big!) ears to understand and feel encouraged!
ReplyDelete