Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Best Laid Plans...

You know those days when you're working hard but you just can't seem to get ahead? I know those days. Too well.

Some days I wake up and think, "Today I'm going to be awesome at this motherhood thing! I'm going to engage them, I'm going to teach them, I'm going to feed them healthy food, I'm going to patiently discipline them, I'm going to wow them. It's going to be a great day." (Okay, I don't wake up and think that, but I wake up, pat them on their heads, brush my teeth, drink my coffee, eat my english muffin, kiss my hubby, rub my eyes, and THEN I think that.)

But then I engage them in coloring, only to have crayons eaten / turned into characters in yet another story. Or I try to teach Spike how to write letters, only to be asked instead to "draw a rock monster," followed by, "That's not what a rock monster looks like!" Or I make a stir fry full of veggies and chicken, only to have it sit untouched next to the voraciously consumed white rice. Or I try to patiently address the deeper reasons behind why Isaac may be violently pushing his brother over, only to be met with, "Because I LOVE it!" with a wicked smirk on his face.

And then I try to make them an awesome fort:

Complete with two bedrooms:


Only to have it destroyed within seconds of completion, so that they can do this:


and this:


And then suddenly it's 11:00am and they're still in their jammies on a beautiful day and we haven't been outside and we have no plans and I'm already sick of them.

It's been one of those days.

4 comments:

  1. :) woman - I HEAR you!

    And I LOVE this post - its so true, so well-written, so funny and sweet...and you know, normal.

    My fave was - "I wake up and think, I am going to wow them." hee hee - you're such a good mommy. just remember to give yourself a break. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HILARIOUS!! I laughed so hard I got my "hee hee" giggle going and had tears.

    Kate you are awesome without even trying.

    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandpa Dave says that this isn't their fault. Little girls would have gone into your beautiful fort village and played. Little boys just want to tear it apart and jump on the cushions. Mars . . .Venus . . . but having fun because of a creative Momma no matter how you slice it.

    Nini

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh your blog is so encouraging!!! I am so depressed when we built up a big Lego village only to get it destroyed a minute later. Of course all needs to be done by the big excavator and they explain me what kind of crashes they are making...

    I played from 6-7am with Legos with the boys this morning thinking that they were up so early and would have a good start if they got all my attention right away (so that I can actually do stuff) only to have a cranky Tim on my leg at 7:02am and both fighting a minute later.

    Encouraging to hear that I am not the only one...

    ReplyDelete