At 5:50 AM on Saturday morning, Zach and I got up (after about 4.5 hours of interrupted sleep for me) to get ourselves and our boy ready for his first trip out of state. I felt like such a mom packing the night before. "Look at all these little baby clothes in our suitcase, Zach!" I was prepared for every occasion. By 7:30 we were on the road with a still-sleepy baby. I, however, was wide awake and super excited for my extended family to meet Isaac for the first time.
Isaac then proceeded to begin his weekend of perfect Angelhood by sleeping for the longest period that he's slept in his whole life: the entire four hour drive. I couldn't believe it. By the time we got to my brother's house, he was starving. We quickly showed him off to my relatives who had gathered for Sam and Nadia's birthday party, and I brought him inside to eat. Then he was the superstar of the day and got to meet Aunt Alli and her girls; Aunt Terri, Uncle Dale, and Alicia; Grandma Julie and Grandpa Jerry; Grandma Sharon and Grandpa Dick; and a bunch of Amanda, Sam, and Nadia's family and friends. One of my favorite things about this weekend is that everybody was saying he has my eyes! I ate it up. It was a really nice party, but once the initial excitement of seeing everyone wore off, I realized how completely exhausted I was. I tried to take a nap on Amanda's bed, but couldn't sleep for long.
Here he is snuggling with Grandma Sharon (above) and Grandma Julie (below).

I agree, Nadia, he has a very kissable nose.
After the party, Carrie rode home with us and Angel Baby slept on the road again. We chilled at Carrie's for awhile and she made us a fabulous dinner. Then Marissa, her fiance Brad, and her parents came over. Sa and I have been friends since before I can remember, so I love sharing Isaac with her. He had his typical awake time after 9:00, so he got to sit up with the big kids around the fire we made on the patio. It was Isaac's first time seeing fire, and watching him stare at it as he sat calmly on everyone's lap ('cause of course we had to pass him all around) was one of those moments when a mom's heart is just completely overflowing with tenderness.
The next day we packed up and headed out to what is probably my most favorite place in the world: my grandparent's house on Murray Lake. I was so excited to bring my boy there. It was such a perfect day. Not so hot that he couldn't be outside, with plenty of shade and people to hold him there while mom and dad sat in the sun. Isaac got to meet my Auntie Sue and Uncle Kevin and their granddaughter Scarlet. Sam and Amanda were also there. Grandma Sharon made us a yummy dinner and we all enjoyed multiple helpings of strawberry shortcake. 

Sam and Scarlet played hard all day. Sam is totally fearless in the water. Check out that air!
It was also his first time seeing a lake and feeling the water on his toes (to which he had no reaction) and digging his toes into the sand (which he loved--such a momma's boy).
Several hours and two sunburns later, we packed up and headed home to Chi-town. An angel once again, Isaac promptly fell asleep and stayed that way until we hit traffic on the Skyway. We pulled over so I could feed him, hit the road again, and Isaac decided to skip his night-time awake period and fell right back to sleep. Praise the Lord!
We love you family! Thanks for the great weekend!
Wow. What a great trip. And the weather was so nice last weekend too! All of the kids are just adorable. How times have changed at your family events, I'm sure!
ReplyDeleteHope to see you soon!
love, Andrea
What is it about Murray Lake? I too, want my kids to have the entire Murray Lake expirience. Guess it's our family "place" in this crazy world.Can't wait to see you out there. Our boys can sit in the sand together. Of course mine will be rolling in it and eating it.
ReplyDeleteAunt Laura