Yesterday Izey and I went shopping. At Babies R Us, we (well, I) started chatting with the grandma of another baby boy. She wanted to know if teething rings were good. I said I didn't know because my baby's not teething yet, but that lots of other people seem to like them. She said her grandson wasn't teething either, but that he "puts everything in his mouth." As we talked more, I found out that baby Jack is only three months old. Here began the inner monologue to which all mothers are susceptible.
"He's only three months old and he's already 'putting everything in his mouth'? Isaac doesn't even grab things yet, let alone have the ability to bring a toy to his mouth. Is he developmentally delayed? Am I not giving him enough opportunity to try to grab toys? Should I call the pediatrician? Oh my gosh, he's going to be one of those kids who is never good at sports!"
The baby's great grandma and mother then found us and joined in the innocent chat. The great grandma was going on and on about how much the two babies looks alike. "Heh...heh....yeah..." I half-heartedly replied. Inner monologue: "Shut up, lady. Isaac is WAY cuter than your great grandson who is supposedly putting everything in his mouth. Ugh. (mental eye roll)"
I know! I am a major snob! But even my Voice of Reason (which comes in two forms: the smarter half of my brain and also the smarter half of my marriage, a.k.a. Zach) which told me, "Isaac isn't three months yet. And all babies develop at different rates," couldn't stop me from having some very intentional play with a rattle time this morning. I am happy to report that Isaac did (eventually) grab the rattle and bring it to his mouth. First, however, there was a lot of very intense staring (I think he's trying to use the Force), followed by some wild arm swinging, followed by mom actually prying open his fist and putting the rattle in it, followed by more careful wild arm swinging which led to hitting the rattle repeatedly, finally followed by actually opening the hand and closing it around the rattle, followed by hitting himself in the face with it, and FINALLY followed by Isaac experiencing the sweet taste of yellow plastic.
Gosh, I'm such a laid back mom.
Wednesday, August 1, 2007
It Begins...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You crack me up, honey.
ReplyDeleteMmmm . . . I do believe that you might also be destined to give "roll over lessons" as I did all those years ago. The good news is that although Zach at 6 months did not seem at all impressed by my demonstration (yes, late for rolling over!), he does roll over today. Isaac will grab and roll over and all the rest - have no fear!
ReplyDeleteGranini
Kate, you are totally normal (and hilarious). Joshua didn't clap his hands until 10 months old and he STILL doesn't wave. When other babies achieved said milestones earlier I had a very similar internal monologue (if I was as funny as you). We won't know how they turn out until the end, so we just keep having fun and worrying ;)
ReplyDeleteLaura
Your discovery of Mommy Inner monologue is exactly why I no longer shop at Babies R' Us or sit in the "mommy/baby" section at the pool. It brings peace to know that your own child is the best, smartest and most developly advanced in the world. :)
ReplyDeleteThose parents remind me of the passive type who shrug off other partents who complain that their child is a bully, and note the child is "just expressing his feelings"...
ReplyDeleteIf it make you feel any better, I am 26 and still have a hard time getting all of the salsa on a chip in my mouth without redecorating my shirt and/or pants. I guess that is why some people wear plad a lot (hides stains).
Hey, even some dads do that...I mean, I've heard--not me, but a friend...of a friend who said that sometimes he thought that way too...sometimes...Hey, the Cubs are good this year, huh?
ReplyDelete