Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Sports Idiots

A couple weekends ago, Zach, Spike, and I made the journey to Minnesota to attend Zach's 10 year high school reunion. (and also to see his parents and their newly remodeled house--beautiful!)

It was a good weekend, but it totally added to my "mother of two" identity crisis (a subject for another post). When we first walked in and saw the group that he had graduated with, I thought to myself, "OMG, do I look as old as those people!?"

To be fair (and in case any of Z's classmates are reading!), not everyone looked old, but the group as a whole looked like a bunch of adults! Gasp!

Zach and I also had to pretend like we know anything about sports. Some guys sat next to us at dinner, and when they heard we were from Chicago, immediately started talking about the Cubs. Zach and I do not watch TV (only DVDs), nor do we read the newspaper, nor do we follow any teams, so we are basically sports idiots. It's really rather embarrassing.

I try to pay attention, I really do. I'll hear a report on the radio about our teams and be like, "Oh! Pay attention! You have to remember this stuff!" But then I forget to remember. I have no place in my brain set aside for sports.

I do like going to sporting events. I even like watching some kinds of games on TV. I like playing sports, too! That counts for something, right?

Anyway, Zach and I must have both heard the same NPR story about how during the summer Chicagoans are at war--Cubs fans vs. Sox fans--and how in the fall they are reunited over the Bears, because this is how our conversation regarding sports went:

Sporty classmate guy: "Blah Blah Blah...something intelligent about the Cubs."

Me: "Yeah...it's great. [hoping that's an appropriate thing to say] Soon football will start, too! [right?] Then Chicago will be reunited again!"

Zach: "Yeah, in the summer people in Chicago hate each other 'cause of the Cubs and the Sox [see--I know the names of both baseball teams!], but in the fall everyone roots for the Bears [and the football team!]."

Me: "Yeah. [I hope this guy doesn't ask us anything else!]"

Sporty classmate guy totally saw through us and changed the subject--whew. Dodged that one!

5 comments:

  1. Whatever, I always cheer for the home squadron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome. I've somehow fallen into knowing way more about sports than I ever wanted to.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha hilarious, I thought it sounded good! ;) Glad you started posting again, been missing you! :) Love Sa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Izey is so deprived, Dad and I will do our part to enrich his life with sports. After all he does live in a BIG sports town! There is nothing better than a hot dog vendor yelling, hot doggy oggy, yummy, yummy! Then eating a dog with mustard only!
    Another fun time is the Meechigan, Northwestern game with the appropriate baby attire (maize and blue) and the ride on the "EL" with all the other Michiganders!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopped by to see some new adorable pics of your little man and I just had to say I hope I didn't add to your "mother of 2 identity crisis" ;) After a day of 1 puking while 1 was screaming..well, you know...but now we've got a routine down and Dylan has become so sweet on his sister it is just wonderful :) Take care!

    ReplyDelete