Monday, April 20, 2009

Cookin' Syrup with Rice


Isaac has been such a tremendous joy the past few weeks. His verbal skills keep us cracking up, his facial expressions only add to the humor, and he's just been as sweet as pie. Today marks us going an entire week without watching TV, which is indicative of the fact that I AM GETTING THE HANG OF THIS TWO KID THING! woo hoo! Isaac has even stopped asking one thousand times a day to watch a movie or show.

Instead, the boys and I have been out and about--running errands, going on playdates, you know, doing stuff again! And on rainy days like today, Isaac is getting really good at playing by himself and I'm getting really good at finding activities that keep him occupied.

I had heard of this idea of letting your toddler play with rice from several sources, but I was hesitant to try it because I knew it would make a big mess. I also felt a little bad about wasting food, but then I reasoned that Isaac could always play with the same rice again later instead of throwing it away. Today I gave it a go. Although it did make a huge mess, Isaac was totally engrossed for an HOUR. Not only did I unload and reload the dishwasher, I also made dinner and nursed Anders during Isaac's "cooking" and "sweeping."

hmmm... a new texture

"cookin' syrup"
(that's what he told me he was doing, hee hee)

"cleaning up"
(that's what he thought he was doing)

2 comments:

  1. I remember playing with rice as a little one (a little older than Izey though). It was right up there with the water station at day care. Good times....

    ReplyDelete
  2. KATHERINE! There are starving children in Indiana:)

    ReplyDelete