Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My High Endurance Family

My mom and brother ran this year's Chicago Marathon. Now 3 out of 5 of us are marathon runners. Carrie and I have no intention in following in their footsteps anytime soon.

If you've ever been a spectator trying to get from mile marker to mile marker, you know that watching the marathon can be almost as exhausting as running it. .... OK, but it is a tiring day! Anyway, I can't remember the last time my WHOLE family was in Chicago all together-- my mom, dad, brother, sister in law, nephew, niece, and sister were all here!

The day before the race, Zach, Izey and I took the el' down to McCormick center to meet my family at the Health Expo. It was so fun to take Isaac on the train for the first time (that he can remember). He was fascinated with everything.
At the Expo, Isaac ran a "race," which totally cracked me up. Here's a video:




The next day we left Isaac and Zach at home, still recovering from their colds and not up to the challenge of cheering on the marathoners. It was me, Carrie, Amanda, Sam and Nadia, and we met up with my dad, who had dropped off the runners. Sam and Nadia liked taking the el' too. Here they are waiting for the train at about 7:30am.
"This is what will make you stronger" was my mom's mantra she chanted during training. "Dannolee! I so proud uh he!" is a long time inside family joke.

And here they are creating their own signs for Daddy and Grammy Pammy:
"Hi Dady"
"This is Grandma's blood pumping through her body."Cheerleaders
The Whole Gang
The Dan VanDusens
Momela and Dadothy
Congratulations Mom and Dan! You rock!

3 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS Mom VanDusen and Dan!! That is so so awesome, I can't imagine doing a marathon-definitely takes some very strong and dedicated people! Wish I could have watched and cheered too! :) Love Sa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was great having you guys there. I had an absolute blast and I'm still smiling.

    I'm ready for my next one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh, here's an extended family member who will NOT be joining in those footsteps as well. Remember the 5K Riverbank? Ewww!!!

    So proud of Pam and Dan though!!

    ReplyDelete