After our appointment last Thursday, my optimism took a nose dive. I was imagining and expecting to hear the worst in Cincinnati. I was worried about leaving Isaac and obsessing about how much or how little I could feel Thor moving around.
My momela got here around 1pm on Sunday and Isaac was napping. We didn't want to leave while he was asleep, so we putzed around and waited until we could say our "bye-byes" to the little guy. He was so thrilled to see his Grammy Pammy when he woke up, he barely noticed that we were leaving. That was a real blessing for a worried momma.
We had a fantastic drive there. I fell asleep after about 30 seconds in the car and Zach fought his way through Bears traffic. Out of the city, God painted a beautiful sunset for us and we took advantage of our quiet alone time to talk about how we were each coping, how our faith was holding up, and to simply laugh and be goofy together. Later, we listened to a comedian and the last presidential debate from the iPod. The miles truly flew by.
We stayed with the brother of the Danielsons' long-time family friends, the Lewises. Ted and Donna were incredibly gracious hosts, providing us with a huge, comfy bed, a much nicer shower than our own, and a breakfast of bacon, eggs, grapefruit, muffins, juice, coffee, and coffee cake!
When we looked at the schedule Cincinnati Children's Hospital had sent us, we cringed at the special instructions about not eating three hours before the MRI, which was our first appointment. If you've been reading this blog, or if you've seen me munching on peanuts or crackers out of my purse at random times, you know that if I don't eat for about 2 hours, I will puke. Afraid that I might ruin a very expensive machine with my vomit, I asked my dad-in-law if it was really necessary that I have an empty stomach for the MRI. He said I should eat and lie through my teeth if they asked, so I did! I was so worried that as the techs were taking pictures of Thor, I would be interrupted with, "Excuse me, Kate, but did you happen to have bacon and eggs for breakfast?" Thank God, the images turned out fine. And there was no puking.
What was funny about the MRI, though, was that it took place in a truck. This very young assistant called us from the Radiology waiting room and led us outside the hospital. I almost joked aloud, "Look, Zach, we're going to have the MRI in the truck!" but then we DID! The teenage assistant was totally awkward and offered no explanation for why we had to be in a truck. When she was making sure I didn't have any metal on, she giggled when she asked if I had a wire in my bra. She really did not inspire much confidence. Thankfully a more mature MRI tech (are they called techs?) soon came in and gave me instructions that didn't include the phrase, "Um, hee hee, I think so."
Even though there was lots of waiting time between appointments, Zach and I had a really good day. It was a strange place to be able to relax and reconnect, but that is just what we did. I was looking at Zach during my ultrasound thinking what an amazing husband he is. He has always put his little family first, and this situation has been no exception. He has used up lots of vacation time to come to appointments and has been my rock throughout my ups and downs. He sad and scared, too, and feels the seriousness of the situation as deeply as I do. I'm so glad I have a partner to go through life with.
On to the rest of the day...
It had been cold in the other parts of the hospital, and I was falling asleep during my ultrasound, so at lunch time I had a small coffee. As the tech showed us into the ECHO room, she apologized for how hot it was. I said, "It is hot in here, and it doesn't help that I just drank some coffee."
She stopped in her tracks and looked at me. "You just drank coffee?"
Oh shit! I thought, she's going to tell me that the caffeine will effect the baby's heart rate and now they can't do the echo! I should have lied through my teeth like I did this morning! "Yeah..." I said.
She repeated the question, "You just drank coffee? Seriously?"
Crap! I ruined the whole day! But I can't lie now! Sheepishly, I answered, "Yeah...is that bad?"
Then she gave me this super condescending look and tone of voice as she said, "You're not supposed to have caffeine when you're pregnant."
What? Is that all she's concerned about? "From everything I've read and what my doctors have told me, caffeine is okay in moderation."
She replied, "Oh, so it's not like an every day thing?"
Um, who are you to judge, lady!? As we continued talking it became clear that she had never been pregnant and is obviously not a doctor or nurse of any kind, just some lady who thinks she knows what's good for me and my baby and felt she needed to make me feel horrible for my choices! So annoying!
After the relief of Dr. Crumbleholme's news, we decided to make the journey home rather than staying another night. We wanted to see our boy, Zach wanted to get back to work, and we wanted my mom to be able to go to a concert with Nadia that she had tickets for on Tuesday night.
Oh, if it were only that simple. We got really really lost trying to get out of Cincinnati. Google Maps' directions were crazy. I couldn't understand them and Zach got mad at me for misdirecting him. But then he tried to read them and got lost too! Ha ha! Zach and I haven't taken many road trips together to places we've never been, so I got to witness firsthand the stereotypical male refusal to ask for directions. We found our way by sheer luck but Zach insists it was his innate sense of direction. Mmm hmmm.
After our initial battle of sexes, the rest of the drive went smoothly and we made it home before midnight. Izey was happy to see us this morning and had to show off all his new toys and clothes that Grammy Pammy spoiled him with while we were gone. She let him pick them out and they ended up with a little broom and dustpan and Dora and Diego dolls. That's my boy!
We're happy to be home, thankful for our good news, and rejuvinated from time alone together. Thanks for all your prayers. Please keep praying for that miracle early plateau!
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
We're Back, Part 2--The Other Aspects of the Trip
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I don't claim to have an innate sense of direction... But my urban pathfinding skills are not to be criticized!
ReplyDeleteI applaud you guys for managing to get anywhere using Google directions! The worst direction finding system ever! It still doesn't acknowledge the existence of the new 35W bridge. Even Mapquest does that!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear that overall your visit was a positive one! Thinking of you all lots!
*So* happy to hear from you guys! Thanks so much for posting and for the specific prayer request! So glad that everything Isaac and appointment-y went smoothly and that you and Zach had time to connect.
ReplyDeleteWe love you,
Tara
We will keep praying! love you Sa
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you found some time of peace in the middle of everything that you are going through. You are a wonderful team together.
ReplyDeleteLove you!
Andrea
Yeah for the great news, a safe trip and little Thor's heart and lungs growing along just fabulously! :) I am SO glad that you keep getting positive medical news - we'll keep praying. -Liz
ReplyDelete