There's a first for everything.
Here was my first clue as to what was coming:
This morning Isaac woke up at around 6am crying. When he wakes up before 7 and he's crying, it usually means he's not done sleeping yet, so after a few minutes I went and tucked him back in and told him to go back to sleep. He did.
At 8:30 I woke up and couldn't believe what time it was. After laying there for a few minutes trying to convince myself that he's probably fine, I went to make sure Isaac was still breathing. (When do the while-they're-sleeping breathing checks stop, moms?) He was, so I got in the shower.
I got out of the shower at 9:00 only to find Isaac still conked out. I got myself ready for my dentist appointment and packed a breakfast for him to take in the car and finally had to wake him up at 9:30! Unbelievable.
Second clue:
He chowed down on his breakfast in the car--(remember this because it's going to come up later) honey nut cheerios, a cup of milk, and a banana--but when he was done I looked at him in the review mirror and my heart jumped a little. He looked dead--his face pale, his lips blue, his eyes staring into space, his head reclining on the back of his seat. "You okay, buddy?" I asked him. He asked for more milk, so I thought, I guess he's alright.
Third clue:
Izey can be a little slow to warm up sometimes and has perfected his "shy look"--kind of the Prince William upturned eyes from under his brow. But at the dentist office, his shyness took on a new intensity. Zach had his appointment first and Isaac sat in my lap and rested his head on my chest for the whole 20 minutes. He had only scowls for the clerk who did everything in the book to get him to smile. Then when it was my turn, he wouldn't move from daddy's lap. Not a peep out of him. His lips were still blue. He was very pathetic. By this point we were saying, "He must be getting sick."
Final clue:
When we got home, Izey was standing in the entry way and Zach had just taken off his coat. He let out little whimper, I said, "What's wrong, baby?"
And then it happened:
Isaac puked all over me.
All you moms out there are thinking, Of course he puked on his mom!
It wasn't horrible; it just kind of all came out. Then I scooped him up and he just laid on my shoulder while daddy went to get the paper towels. Remember what he had for breakfast? Not bad food to throw up, actually. It smelled like banana bread. Zach was totally grossed out, while I was going on about banana bread.
I gave Izey to Zach to change his clothes--which had less puke on them than my clothes did--and I stripped down right there. I just started laughing and couldn't stop chuckling to myself. I couldn't believe where all of it ended up and couldn't figure out how it got there. I kept thinking, "It's official! I am a mom!"
Isaac was awake for a total of three hours before I put him down for another nap at 12:30. He slept until just now--3 1/2 hours--and now he seems a lot better. He's got color in his cheeks and I've already seen him smile. We're giving him some saltine crackers and a little applesauce. Here's hoping we won't see that later, too.
Thursday, November 20, 2008
A Mom Rite of Passage
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oooh, poor Izey baby! I'll never forget the first time Charlotte threw up. It is very sad! I'm glad the little guy is feeling better though. I think Miss C. is getting sick now because she has been super cuddly and went to bed super early. I'm just hoping no vomit!!!
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing how a child will listen more to their body then an adult. As an adult we tend to say 'I'm not getting sick, I can overcome this.' Poor buddy, to go from being silly in the rocking chair to not feeling good. :( Good job with being 'a mom' and doing what it took to take care of him, I would not have been able to handle the puke.
ReplyDeleteOhhhh!! Poor Izey!...and Poor Momma! You are right, getting puked on is a rite of passage. And it will happen more than once! :) At least you were able to laugh about it. Way to go!
ReplyDeleteThe next big step is when it happens in the middle of the night. It HAS to be all through his bed and all over the carpet! From the sounds of it, you will have to clean that one up too. Wow, only you could write a story about vomit and make it so cute and interesting!
ReplyDelete