I don't know if other kiddos Isaac's age know their colors, or their ABC's, or how to recognize letters, or how to count, etc, and I'm trying to remain ignorant of OPK's (other people's kids') accomplishments so that I don't get all competitive. So far it's just fun to see him learning and remembering things at his own pace.
Today he surprised me by telling me his spoon was green. I thought it was a fluke until he showed me a green block and then we went to our Moms and Tots class and he requested the green ball! The only other color he knows reliably is white--specifically that snow is white--but I'd be willing to bet the rest of the rainbow is not far behind.
I was sitting on the floor unpacking my suitcase and Isaac was pushing his baby in his new stroller around the condo. Apparently I was in his way, and my polite little boy said a phrase I've never heard from him before, which sounded like, "Susie" and was actually, "Excuse me." He repeated it kindly until I moved out of his way.
Isaac often starts "counting" things that he's playing with now. But for quite awhile he only knew two and five. "twooooo.....fiiiiiiive.....twooooo....fiiiiiiive." This week he surprised us with a very clear "siiiiix.....seveeeeen.....eeeeeight."
When we were in Minnesota, he "read" us a newspaper headline: "Twoooo....fiiiive....oval....u....circle....m...."
Izey is remembering and randomly bringing up a lot of past experiences, too. He used to have a sweet doll named Michael who we unfortunately lost. We lost him before Isaac was really talking, and certainly before he could say the name. We hadn't talked about or seen Micheal in MONTHS, but Zach and I got him a new one for Christmas, and as soon as he opened the package, he said, "Micheal!"
Today we went to our first Moms and Tots class of the winter session, where we hadn't been since the end of the fall session, weeks ago. I told Isaac we were going to class and he said "E I E I" which is what he calls the song "Old MacDonald," which we used to sing at our class!
He also still randomly says, "Docta, ears" referring to our last check up over two weeks ago when the doctor took a peek in his ears.
A lot of his words are still incomprehensible to others, and many take me quite awhile to figure out, too. Yesterday I told him we were going to the museum and he kept saying "sim! sim! sim!" all morning until I finally realized "sim" was "museum." When we came home, he would not stop talking about the "BOOOOONES!" because we walked by a big dinosaur skeleton. I have no idea how he even knew what the skeleton was.
And of course he talks about Nini, Beepa, Pammy, Nana, Sammy, Danny, Carrie, Mangos, Fernie AND Murray all the time. Oh, and let's not forget "Seeka, sad."
Friday, January 9, 2009
My Kid is Smart! (or so I think in my ignorance)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The girls and I were impressed by the video of Isaac saying all the names of who he saw at Grammy Pammy's. He continued to name them, without you saying them first. But, the "Michael" thing nails it...he is SMART!
ReplyDelete