Tuesday, January 8, 2008

How to Entertain an 8 Month Old in a Doctor's Office for One Hour

I am proud to say that I made Isaac's 9:45 doctor's appointment on time this morning. (OK, so we got there at 9:47-- for me, that is on time.) I think I like being late better. We waited in the exam room for AN HOUR.

Here's a recap my time with Isaac in a 6' x 6' room:

  1. Let baby chew on toy phone. 10 minutes.
  2. (wipe drool from chin)
  3. Show him that adorably chubby baby in the mirror until arms give out from holding him. 5 minutes.
  4. (wipe drool from chin)
  5. Allow him to bang toy phone on counter. Repeatedly pick up dropped toy phone. 20 minutes.
  6. (wipe drool from chin)
  7. Play peek-a-boo with adorably chubby baby in the mirror until arms give out again. 3 minutes (still sore from last time).
  8. (wipe drool from chin)
  9. Let baby crinkle the paper on the exam table until he starts eating it. 30 seconds.
  10. (wipe drool from chin)
  11. Lift blinds and place baby on window sill to look out. Point out passing trucks. 10 minutes.
  12. (wipe drool from chin)
  13. Help baby practice standing. 10 minutes.
  14. (wipe drool from chin)
  15. Watch baby fill pants after 59 minutes and 30 seconds of waiting for the doctor, right before said doctor walks into the room. 30 seconds.
Dr. M checked the boy out and said he's A-OK. He gave me a prescription for eye drops that only needs to be filled if the infection worsens or persists. Fellow moms of sick babies, thanks for your commiseration.

6 comments:

  1. (I just laughed so hard I snorted.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love the hour-long-wait and the puffy, oozie eye...I hope Isaac gets better soon! And you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. freakin' hilarious. You need to publish this little list.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, you have a very nice attitude, you make a good parent. Have fun with your growing (and drooling) little one :)

    ReplyDelete