Monday, January 28, 2008

Shhh...

Spike is asleep. It has been one hour and 11 minutes since I laid him down. This is a fantastic accomplishment and an answer to desperate prayers muttered in the shower.

I don't know how long it's been--at least a week, but it seems like longer--since Isaac took a nap that lasted more than an hour.

It used to be that you could set your clocks by his one hour naps. I'd put him down at 9:07, he'd wake up at 10:07. Then there were a few sweet weeks that he took an afternoon nap of anywhere between 1 1/2 to 3 hours. Oh, sweet heavenly mama time!

But a little while ago, he started waking up after 50, 45, 40 minutes. Ugh. I'd let him talk/whine/cry for a little bit, and a couple of times he even went back to sleep, but usually I'd have to cut my shower, or my cleaning, or my reading short and go rescue him.

I'm not sure why he's been waking up early, but he's been doing it at night/in the early morning too. It could be because of toothy #5 that just reared its pearly head a few days ago and toothy #6 that will soon follow suit. I also read that some babies don't sleep as well when they're going through this phase of separation anxiety.

Oh. He's awake.

4 comments:

  1. Does Izey guy do one or two naps? I feel like (because of course I can't _remember_) we switched to one nap sometime around age one. And I have no idea what his total sleep life is like, but just wanting to help a mama out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He takes two naps: one at 9am and the other around 1pm. Bedtime is around 7-7:30pm and in the morning he wakes up anywhere from 6 to 7am. I'm shooting for a wake up time around 7am.

    BTW, he's only 8 1/2 months, so I'm hoping he doesn't lose the morning nap any time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't give up! Mommies need two naps a day, but babies do too! They'll lengthen again, I'm sure of it.

    KD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate,
    Just as soon as you get used to a schedule, the little ones switch it up on you. Joshua went through a phase like this for a while and it worked itself out. It was a little harrowing while it did though!

    ReplyDelete