Friday, March 7, 2008

Keys to Sanity

I'm learning that chasing Isaac around saying, "No! Yucky!" or "That's not for babies!" as I pry cat food, DVDs, shoes, purses...you name it...from his chubby little fingers DRIVES ME CRAZY! But we recently purchased/borrowed/rearranged just a few key items and it has made all the difference. I realized that "babyproofing" is more than just keeping your child out of danger; it creates a safe place for your baby to explore so that you don't have to be on the defensive all the time. You can relax and just enjoy your little explorer.

The first Key to Sanity is a borrowed exersaucer from a friend at church. Church friends with slightly older babies are great because we all live in small places and don't want to store huge toys when they are not in use. When I asked a group of moms if any one had one we could use for a few months, Nicole was asking when she could drop it off before I even finished the question. It is so nice to have a place to stick Izey while I fix our lunch, go to the bathroom, or take a quick shower, as I did today, with him in the doorway. He loves it!Then we got two gates. One is mounted at the doorway to the kitchen, thus avoiding the intake of cat food (bad), cat litter (worse), or poisonous chemicals from under the sink (worst)! Kedzie likes it because now she has a safe place where Izey can't get her. The other gate is not always up, but can be put at the other end of the hallway or at the bottom of our three little stairs. Isaac is not as crazy about this Key to Sanity.This last one is also borrowed, and not exactly Spike's favorite thing. Since we now only have one car again and Zach often takes it to work, I have few options for getting out of the house. Spike didn't have a snow suit just because I never found a good one in his size. We finally borrowed one when we wanted to take him on a snowy hike and have continued to use it. Now I am going running outside again! If you're concerned that Spike might not be warm enough in this blustery February and March, have no fear. First, I put him in his snow suit...then into the stroller roller he goes...
and then under a blanket...
and the final layer of protection: a weather shield.
Don't worry, he can breathe. But he is usually sweating by the time we get home. Seriously. The other day our jog took us to Indian Boundary Park where there is a little zoo. The goats came out to see their sole visitors. Here's one saying hello.
And here is what Izey thought of him from his warm vantage point. Not impressed.

2 comments:

  1. So funny! Poor Izey looks like he's in some kind of communicable disease pod....but I can't imagine how else you'd protect him from this crazy weather. Oh, well. He'll thank you when he's older and not having to worry about the lingering effects of toddler pneumonia. :) When I was in elementary school, we used to go to Indian Boundary Park on the last week of school. It was a HUGE deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to start a Saturday - pictures of my favorite little boy!! It warms my heart, which is a good thing since the thermometer said 8 below this morning (-21 with the wind!). How can we turn the clocks ahead for daylight savings time when it's so frickin' cold? Doesn't DST usually mean that spring has sprung? Well, I'm just glad that Izey has his bubble boy stroller set up so that he can enjoy the sun even if the air would freeze his little nose off!

    Granini

    ReplyDelete