Thursday, February 19, 2009

Spike and Thor's Family Tree

Zach took part of his work from home day yesterday to come with me to what we hope is our last doctor's appointment at the Maternal Fetal Medicine office.

First we had Sarah, our favorite ultrasound tech, scan me. We were due for a growth assessment, which is when they take various measurements and then estimate Thor's weight based on those. With an almost apologetic tone, Sarah informed us that she was getting an estimated weight of EIGHT POUNDS and FOURTEEN OUNCES! That's almost a NINE pounder, people! (Isaac weighed 8 lbs, 6 ounces, which is just over the average range.)

The truly terrifying note to make on that estimation is that those measurements have a margin of error of a whole TWO pounds! God, please do not give me an eleven pound baby to attempt to push out of my body. Thank you. Thankfully, Sarah informed us that if their measurements are off, it's usually because they've over estimated. Whew.

Thor was looking good, though. Sarah noted that he had some "significant belly fat" and was impressed by his belly circumference--I think she used the phrase "generous abdomen." We also know that Thor has some hair. Izey did, too, but it was dark, like mine was when I was born, and it all fell out. I have a feeling (for no particular reason) that unlike his big brother, Thor is going to have blue eyes and blonde hair.

Based on his chubby cheeks, full lips, big belly, and my "feelings" about his coloring, I think Thor is going to look more like his daddy, at least when he first comes out. Here's baby Zach when he was fresh:

Zach with David, still in the hospital--
Check out those CHEEKS!

Zach with Karen, 1 week old

Though Isaac looks a lot like Zach (more and more as he gets older), he had my mom's side of the family's face shape, hair and eyes when he was born. Here's his newborn pics. You can barely tell it's our blonde Izey!

This one has always been a favorite. What an angel!

Isaac with Zach, about 1 day old--
Those dark eyes and hair didn't come from Daddy's side!

Isaac at one week, looking just like a Weirckz (my mom's side)

Now here are some old family pictures to compare him to:

My mom at about 3 months old...
or is it Isaac? Weird, huh!?

I got most of my genes from my mom's side. I'd say my bro is a mix and my sister looks exactly like one of our aunties on our dad's side. Isaac bears little resemblance to this side:
My dad at about one year

Carrie, my sister, at 3 or 6 months?
(Is she happy or angry?)

My brother, Dan, at 3 months--
love that gummy smile!

One of my girlfriends and I always commiserate because people always say our babies look like their daddies, when they really look like US! Isaac is truly a combination of me and Zach, but people often can't see that his eyes are exactly like mine. Here's my proof:
This baby is Zach, but I have no idea what age, maybe 10 months?
You can see where Spike gets his chubs and his smile!

Isaac at 16 months

Kate at 1 year or 18 months?
I know, I'm adorable.

Isaac at 18 months
I know, he's adorable.

I'll give you this one-- it's Zach, but it could be Isaac!

Kate at around 2 1/2
This picture is famous in our family.
I even had a fabulous bikini body back then. Just like now...wait...

I'm on the right in the back, at around 2 1/2 years old (?)
My brother's the oldest and my sister is the baby in the front on the right.

If you put Isaac in a dress and grew out his hair, don't you think you could replace me with him in the last picture? He'd probably make that face, too.

I can't wait to see what Thor looks like when he's not on a grainy, black and white screen! Come on out, baby! We're ready to meet you!

2 comments:

  1. I love the pic of you at 1 year/18 mos. It looks SO MUCH like you. What a cutie. And I'm not all that great at determining which parent (or parents' characteristics) a baby looks like, but that last one really IS Izey pouty little face. Love it. I can't wait to see how Thor looks! (oh, and to know his real name!! Maybe I can strike a deal with you...you tell me and I'll tell you our boy's name....!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now who is this Auntie that your sister resembles? Love the Sally suit pic!

    Good luck - any day now!! My computer is down...again, so I'm getting updates from G-ma Julie.

    ReplyDelete