The boys and I have had a semi-regular beach date with some other moms and kiddos this month. If you know me at all, you know that I'm a little bit obsessed with the beach. We live about one mile from the lake shore, so when the weather's nice, I'm there if I can be. (Tangent: It is amazing to me how many people live this close to the beach and don't go there!) The first couple of trips this year were hard because I was trying to keep Anders happy, fed, and comfortable while making sure Isaac didn't run away or throw sand at his buddies. But a few obstacles were not going to keep me away from the sand and sun!
During the first beach trip, I made the mistake of allowing Isaac to wander far away, reasoning that I could still see him and there was no danger where he was playing. Unfortunately he then reasoned that he could continue to wander away even when Momma was calling him back.
I've been working on lots of discipline issues with Isaac lately, especially being nice to other kids (sharing, not screaming at them, not squishing the smaller ones with his body weight...you know, the usual) as well as staying near me at parks, on the patio, and now at the beach.
The good news is, I think we're making progress. I've been firm with consequences--you scream at the kids, we leave the play lot; you throw sand at people, you get strapped in the stroller; you don't come back when you're called, we leave the beach. I've had to cut our trips short a couple of times, but I think he's starting to get the message.
Today on the way to the beach I told Isaac, "You have to stay by Momma today. If you go too far away, we're going home." He mulled it over and a few minutes later, he said, "Don't go too far away." He's getting it!
We weren't meeting other moms today, but when we arrived, I spotted big group of other kids at a distance. Now the dilemma--do I park near the kids so Isaac can make friends, or do I keep my distance so that he'll be more manageable? Since I was by myself, I chose the latter.
Isaac did great! The whole time we were at the beach, he was right next to the blanket. There were a couple of times that I had to call him back, but he listened right away. I felt so proud of him, and I told him so. I feel pretty proud of myself, too, so I'm telling you. :)
Anders also enjoyed the beach, thanks mostly to last summer's purchase of a little beach tent. The key to bringing a baby to the beach is having clean, dry, and shady spot for him, which is exactly what the little tent provides. I can put him there to change his diaper and when he's awake and happy he likes seeing the light and shadows dance across its ceiling. It's also important to have a baby carrier like the Bjorn or sling so that I could have my hands free to deal with Isaac if need be (although I didn't even need to today!)
Isaac likes the tent, too. He always wants to eat his lunch/snack in it. He was even calm enough to hang out in it with Anders today (they often can't be in such close proximity due to the previously mentioned squishing tendencies).
Today was so successful, I actually sat on the blanket (amazing in itself) and thought, "I should have brought a book!" Then I moved us down by the water because Isaac had proved he could handle the temptation of being near the lake. (It probably helped that the water is still frigid!)
Today was fantastic. Guess what we're doing tomorrow. :)
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
How to go to the beach with an infant and a toddler
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The beach sounds FANTASTIC right now! I think we have the same (or similar) little beach tent - ingenious!
ReplyDeleteHow awesome! Who needs swings when you've got the beach?! I'm jealous.
ReplyDeleteI love that top pic - so cute and a great angle with the water!
Can't wait to meet you in a couple days! Safe travels and glad we're able to help with the pack n play and swing!!!
You deserve a pat on the back for recognizing that discipline is a necessary part of childrearing, especially if you want to have children who are pleasant and fun to be around. You do not apologize for your disciplinary actions, you are consistent, you state the consequences clearly and frequently enough so your little son can remember them. The story of you at the store and time out in the carseat are good examples. You don't leave the child at home when you need to go to the store because it's easier. It appears you feed your child a variety of healthy foods and vegetables rather than processed fast food that's easier. You are a good role model. It looks like you are starting to reap some rewards at the beach. Hats off to you.
ReplyDeleteWoah Kate Izey looks so big I can not believe how big he is getting and how much he is turning into a little man. Sam is really big I could barely carry him today when he fell on the rocks on our hike today, I thought "I need another one more my size" haha well I can hope! Awesome pics we can't wait to see you all soon.
ReplyDeleteMango
OMG "not squishing the smaller ones with his body weight...you know, the usual"
ReplyDeleteLOL