Sunday, May 17, 2009

It is easier to ask forgiveness...

When we put our condo on the market last August, I knew the market wasn't great, but I did not know that we were about to enter this nasty recession. There are a lot of great things about our current living situation, and I'm trying my darndest to be content here, but I sure would like to buy one of those fabulously cheap houses that I keep seeing online.

In order to make our place more marketable as well as to expand our living space as much as possible, I've been turning a crappy cement courtyard into what we're calling a "patio" for lack of a better word. It's not perfect, but with an outdoor rug, some patio furniture, and a few plants, we made a little outdoor haven for ourselves.
I knew when I started that I had no right to this space. We are the only unit in our building that does not have a deck (so sad), and our condo regulations specifically say that no one is allowed to keep personal property in the common areas. I went ahead and created the space because I knew if I asked, they'd have to say no, but I figured they probably wouldn't make me take it down once I started.

That was true, until I put up swings for the boys. The boys love the swings. Ando will chill contentedly in his for a long time and has even fallen asleep twice in it. Izey was happy in his with an occasional push from me the entire time I planted my impatiens AND put up the hooks for my hanging baskets.

Then I got a visit from my condo board president. She was very kind, but informed me that the swings were a liability issue and had to be taken down. I completely understood and I was grateful that they didn't ask me to take everything down, but still...I was bummed.

I've just been dreaming about everything I would get to do with a backyard or a basement or even just one more bedroom, and putting together our patio was my one outlet for all that pent up desire. And my guys loved their swings so much...

So the swings are taken down. I'm going to save them for my Some Day, but it sure feels like that is a long way off.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry about the swings :(
    It looks really nice - you did a great job!
    I know your "some day" is coming soon!!!
    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The patio looks awesome!!!! I love what you have done with it. So sorry about the swings, though.

    ...what about hanging them from the pipes in your living room or bedroom. :) j/k

    Hang in there! (no pun intended!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer Kate! But, the porch does look really nice! I just can't figure out where it is!

    It will all happen for you someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty!! Isn't it so nice to have a little space outside that you can kind-of call your own. Too bad about the swings, it looks like they were fun for the boys. I have thought for some time about trying a swing for Anwen in my courtyard, but just haven gotten around to getting a swing. Good work urban gardener!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, you don't know me (I stumbled upon your blog awhile back) but I have to comment on the condo thing... I have been there! We just moved out of our 2BR condo last October with baby #3 on the way. I know how it is having two small kids in one bedroom and wanting a backyard, basement, and swings. I also know what it's like not having your condo sell (we still own ours, it is currently rented out). Anyway, hang in there! It sounds like you are making the best of a frustrating situation.... you'll get your house, and you will REALLY appreciate it; I an thankful for mine everyday. BTW, your Anders was born on the same day (different year) as my son Ethan, who was also five days late:)

    ReplyDelete