Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Job Hunt

Before I even got pregnant with Anders, my long term plan was to have another baby in the spring (check), stay home with him for about six months (half check) while finishing my Master's (almost check), and then begin working part time in the fall (working toward the check--no pun intended).

It's getting to the point where if that long term plan is going to come to fruition, I gotta start the job hunt!

I've been making great strides the last couple of weeks. It started when my adviser emailed out a job posting for a part time English teacher at a super fancy, all girls, Catholic, boarding and day school in the northern suburbs. My dream job right now is to teach English part time, but those jobs are hard to come by, so I worked really hard to get my resume, cover letter, application and three letters of recommendation in. It took forever and was a lot of work. I got a letter from them today saying that the circumstances of their previous English teacher had changed and now she's coming back next year. Poop. Well, at least it wasn't a "we hired someone else" letter.

Anyway, applying for that position got me started. I've been emailing some people I know in various education-related fields and looking at websites for job postings. First and foremost, I'm looking to teach, but one area that is starting to really appeal to me is editing. There are a lot of companies that hire free-lance editors for textbook companies. One company has earned all these awards for being a great place for mothers to work!

I'm also looking into doing some educational research at universities and I'm keeping my eyes open for positions at the museums and non-profits, too.

The whole process of looking for a job is arduous and strange. To market oneself is an odd thing. I have to keep reminding myself that I am actually qualified to be applying for jobs. I list my accomplishments to myself and chant, "They'd be lucky to have me!" until I almost believe it.

It's also hard because I'm certainly not to the point where I feel ready to leave Anders. We can barely leave him with a babysitter right now because he STILL won't take a bottle. So searching for jobs is kinda the last thing on my mind, but if I want to start working in three months, I've got to start looking now.

I've been spending so much time outside with the boys lately, and once in awhile as I'm pushing them both in the stroller through the gorgeous park on a beautiful morning, the thought creeps in, "Do I really want to give this up?" But that is why I only want to work part-time. And I hope to still have my summers off.

It also helps that I have a friend who I've talked to about doing childcare for the boys when I start working. I don't want to say too much about it because we've only tentatively talked about it, but she is fabulous with kids (way better than I am!), she loves Isaac and Isaac loves her.

I really think going back to work two or three days a week would help me to be a better mom. I have loved being a stay at home mom way more than I ever thought I would, but I certainly don't feel like I'm using all of my gifts (or education!). I'm also really excited to be able to contribute (albeit only a little!) to our household's income.

So wish me luck. And let me know if you hear of an opening for me!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck, and let ME know of anything if you find something. You might want to look into the tutoring field. That's where I've been looking, and there are way more secondary and test prep positions than elementary. The organization I work for may be hiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know where there is LOTS of teaching opportunities ;)


    K O R E A ! ! ! !


    Come see me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoever hires you WILL BE lucky to have you!! You are only destined for greatness, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete