Friday, March 6, 2009

The Four of Us


My Momela left us on our own last night. ::sniff::

My dad came to pick up my mom and all 6 of us went out for dinner. It was the first time we had both boys in the car and it was kinda fun! (I should mention the whole outing was fairly easy because Anders slept the entire time.)

On our way back, my mom said, "Wow, look at you with two kids! You look like a family!" I said, "I know. I think I like it. Especially with Zach. I'm glad he's my Baby Daddy."

We're doing okay so far flying solo. I let Zach sleep in (to 7:30--amazing!) this morning while I fed Izey breakfast with one hand and bounced Anders in the other. That was my first taste of having both of them to myself. It was an adventure which included Isaac falling backwards in the dining room chair (and amazingly NOT getting hurt) while I watched helplessly! Then I woke up Zach and went back to sleep for another 45 minutes or so. Now Zach and Isaac are at his toddler class, Anders is sleeping, and I'm enjoying a little peace and quiet.

Many things are easier about Baby #2, especially breastfeeding and simply feeling like I know what I'm doing. The hardest part right now I think is that I'm still really sore and I just want to be able to keep up with Isaac with Anders in tow. And then of course there's the sleeplessness. I look in the mirror each morning to find puffy, dark eyes in a pale, pale face.

Someone said to me that soon Isaac wouldn't even remember life without a baby brother and that made me a little sad. The last two years have meant so much to me, and they have to Isaac too, but in a different way. Either way, I know I will cherish the time Izey and I got to spend together forever.

Having had that time with Isaac certainly makes me see things differently with Anders. The best part of him being Baby #2 is looking at him and seeing all his potential. I can hardly believe that he's going to be a silly sweet toddler who loves to play "chase" and "pile" and gives big hugs and kisses. Right now I love Anders both for who he is--a soft cheeked, froggy legged, pure and innocent infant--and for who he will grow to be. It's amazing and I'm so excited to see how he fits into our family of four.

4 comments:

  1. Speaking of pale, pale faces, did you get your iron pills?

    It is sad to think that Izey won't remember those first 2 years but he is so sweet because of those years. I saw a secure happy little boy totally adjusting to the changes in his life. You two are awesome parents!

    It was a priviledge to be part of these first precious days with Anders.

    Love you all,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate! It's Megan from Little Group! I got the link to the blog from Facebook and sent it to my sister Shelly because she's due May 2 with her first, and you did so well expressing the "expecting experience" these last few entries. I also wanted to say that Izey is the sweetest, most precious, cutest little boy I think I've ever seen! And congratulations on Anders and your new family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your family o' four looks fabulous! :) so cute to see two little boys with their parents. love you all - Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwess look at Izey's cowboy jammers he looks so big! I still want to take Anders well I guess I would want Izey too they are both cuties. We can't wait to meet the little guy. 25 more days till we will be in MI
    Love Mango

    ReplyDelete